Stat counter


View My Stats

Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting off the screening bandwagon -doubtful

Richard Albin, PhD, the researcher who discovered the prostate specific antigen in 1970, has made a very public declaration.
"I never dreamt that my discovery 4 decades ago would lead to such a profit-driven public health disaster," Dr. Ablin says.
"The medical community must confront reality and stop the inappropriate use of PSA screening," he states. "Doing so would save billions of dollars and rescue millions of men from unnecessary, debilitating treatment."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/718351?src=mpnews&uac=42504PY&spon=7

I have my doubts his voice will be heard. The screening principle is just too seductive and the counter-intuitive arguments to the contrary and just too... counter-intuitive, despite the fact they are very likely correct. On top of this there is still too much money to be made.

No comments: