Stat counter


View My Stats

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Conflicted missions - an eye opener

The NEJM published a piece titled "Serving two masters- Conflicts of Interest in Academic Medicine".
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/362/8/669?query=TOC
Its content is not behind the firewall and is free. Included in this is a table shown below.

Table 1

I don't know about these guys but I would find academic medicine easy if all I served was two masters but from this table it is relatively easy to see how they have accomplished this. They have left out a few constituencies, primarily medical students, medical residents (as opposed to researchers in training) and patients. I thought somewhere in the mission of academic health centers there should be something included which places a priority on training physicians to be patient centered and providing patient centered as opposed to margin centered patient care. Silly me!

No comments: